Assistant Portfolio Manager
ABOUT JAMES HAMBRO & PARTNERS
James Hambro & Partners is an independently owned wealth management group established in 2010 by Jamie Hambro and seasoned industry experts. The Hambro name has been closely associated with the investment world for more than 200 years. The founding of James Hambro & Partners (JH&P) in 2010 marked its return to an independently owned partnership. Led by Chairman James Hambro, we created a modern business founded on traditional values and the guiding principles of trust, integrity and service. In 2012, responding to the opportunities and challenges of RDR, we merged with Calkin Pattinson, a well-established and like-minded family-run financial advisory company, now renamed James Hambro & Company. We believe that the merged James Hambro businesses form a compelling offering, bringing together expert portfolio management and financial planning within a single focused enterprise. We look after the needs of individual private clients and their families, financial advisers, trusts, charities and not-for-profit organisations. Our business has been built on personal service, clear communication and strong investment performance. James Hambro & Partners currently has over £5.2 billion of assets under management. Our head office is in Pall Mall London. We opened an office in Leeds in January 2020 and in Edinburgh in February 2021 and most recently in Bristol in 2023.
Assistant Portfolio Manager
Competitive with an excellent benefits package
REGULATORY FUNCTIONS HELD:
- SMCR Certification: Client Dealing Function
- Creation of orders for approval by PM – includes stock trades, funds and FX transactions.
- Analysis of portfolio composition, relative to targets. Look through portfolios on a regular basis using various available systems (Pulse, Symphony and Bita Monitor) to see if there are any discrepancies such as abnormally large sector, stock or country weightings. Bring these findings to the attention of the Portfolio Manager and propose any changes to the PM.
- Preparing the implementation of asset allocation changes. Checking to see where the portfolios are relative to any new changes following the monthly asset allocation meeting. Informing PM of differences and proposing any changes to the PM.
- Manage the ongoing administration tasks required daily on client portfolios. This includes liaising with Back Office for transitions, corporate actions, cash movements, contract notes, trade settlement etc. Likely to work closely with the desk Client Services Manager on these tasks.
- Asset Class Rotation – Complete a six-monthly rotation of each asset class group (Fixed Interest, Equities and Funds) where the APMs contribute to the investment process and are required to provide support, undertake analysis and minute meetings for that asset class group as directed by the asset class leader.
- Compliance – Assist the PM in ensuring management of client portfolios is in compliance with all applicable regulations. Keep abreast of all regulatory developments. Assist the PM in ensuring that the portfolios are compliant with their benchmarks, guidelines and restrictions, raising any issues with the portfolio manager.
- Performance – Assist PM in monitoring the performance on client portfolios and raise queries where necessary.
- Understanding tax issues - Ability to deal with basic tax queries that might come through following the 5th April taxation booklet production and at any point throughout the year.
- Liquidity Management - Checking on a daily basis that portfolios are not going overdrawn, alert the portfolio manager if needs be and take any action necessary. Review the cash on deposit regularly.
- Client Reviews - Assisting the portfolio manager when reviewing portfolios and ensuring that any issues are addressed. This is an annual exercise.
- Collaborate with other APMs in order to complete regular centralised tasks carried out by APMs as a group. This includes various daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly tasks.
- Contribute to the overall marketing and business development processes for your team.
- Educated to at least A level standard.
- Level 4 UK regulation exam required for SMCR certification.
- Working towards CISI Chartered Wealth Manager Qualification (or equivalent).
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Good working knowledge of Symphony, Pulse, Bita, CRM.
- Basic understanding of investments, markets and the operational processes which support them.
- Awareness of the regulatory environment and the risks arising.
- Experience of working in a client facing environment.
- Experience of working in a team.
- Keen to gain knowledge of financial services or wealth management.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to summarise complex issues clearly and succinctly.
- Good written communication skills.
- Ability to analyse investment information and draw conclusions from it.
- Ability to analyse and apply information provided by the client to assess client’s circumstances.
- Prepared to engage in debate about the conclusions drawn, resilient in sustaining a logical argument, and to adjust or hold position as seems fit.
- Confident with numbers.
- Organised with attention to detail.
- Focused on delivering suitable customer outcomes which are adequately documented.