Opportunities at James Hambro & Partners
for experienced professionals
James Hambro & Partners is an independently owned wealth management group established in 2010 by Jamie Hambro and seasoned industry experts.
The founding partners wanted to create a wealth manager that offered the high standards of personal service often associated with smaller businesses, while also delivering strong investment performance by capturing the best aspects of expertise and process found in some of the larger, institutional investment houses.
Today, as well as looking after the financial planning and investment needs of many private clients and their families, James Hambro & Partners also offers investment solutions to IFA firms and manages investments for charities and not-for-profit organisations.
It has over £4.5 billion of assets under management. Its head office is in Pall Mall London. It opened an office in Leeds in January 2020 and an office in Edinburgh in February 2021.
Role – Assistant Portfolio Manager
31 August 2022
Competitive with an excellent benefits package
Creation of orders for approval by PM – includes stock trades, funds and FX transactions.
Regulatory functions held
SMCR Certification: Client Dealing Function
- Analysis of portfolio composition, relative to targets. Look through portfolios on a regular basis using various available systems (Pulse, Symphony and Bita Monitor) to see if there are any discrepancies such as abnormally large sector, stock or country weightings. Bring these findings to the attention of the Portfolio Manager and propose any changes to the PM.
- Preparing the implementation of asset allocation changes. Checking to see where the portfolios are relative to any new changes following the monthly asset allocation meeting. Informing PM of differences and proposing any changes to the PM.
- Manage the ongoing administration tasks required daily on client portfolios. This includes liaising with Back Office for transitions, corporate actions, cash movements, contract notes, trade settlement etc. Likely to work closely with the desk Client Services Manager on these tasks.
- Asset Class Rotation – Complete a six-monthly rotation of each asset class group (Fixed Interest, Equities and Funds) where the APMs contribute to the investment process and are required to provide support, undertake analysis and minute meetings for that asset class group as directed by the asset class leader.
- Compliance – Assist the PM in ensuring management of client portfolios is in compliance with all applicable regulations. Keep abreast of all regulatory developments. Assist the PM in ensuring that the portfolios are compliant with their benchmarks, guidelines and restrictions, raising any issues with the portfolio manager.
- Performance – Assist PM in monitoring the performance on client portfolios and raise queries where necessary.
- Understanding tax issues – Ability to deal with basic tax queries that might come through following the 5th April taxation booklet production and at any point throughout the year.
- Liquidity Management – Checking on a daily basis that portfolios are not going overdrawn, alert the portfolio manager if needs be and take any action necessary. Review the cash on deposit regularly.
- Client Reviews – Assisting the portfolio manager when reviewing portfolios and ensuring that any issues are addressed. This is an annual exercise.
- Collaborate with other APMs in order to complete regular centralised tasks carried out by APMs as a group. This includes various daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly tasks.
- Contribute to the overall marketing and business development processes for your team.
- Educated to at least A level standard.
- Level 4 UK regulation exam required for SMCR certification.
- Working towards CISI Chartered Wealth Manager Qualification (or equivalent).
Knowledge and Experience
- Good working knowledge of Symphony, Pulse, Bita, CRM.
- Basic understanding of investments, markets and the operational processes which support them.
- Awareness of the regulatory environment and the risks arising.
- Experience of working in a client facing environment.
- Experience of working in a team.
- Keen to gain knowledge of financial services or wealth management.
Skills and Behaviours
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to summarise complex issues clearly and succinctly.
- Good written communication skills.
- Ability to analyse investment information and draw conclusions from it.
- Ability to analyse and apply information provided by the client to assess client’s circumstances.
- Prepared to engage in debate about the conclusions drawn, resilient in sustaining a logical argument, and to adjust or hold position as seems fit.
- Confident with numbers.
- Organised with attention to detail.
- Focused on delivering suitable customer outcomes which are adequately documented.
- Good prioritisation and time management.
How to apply
Please send us your CV with a covering letter detailing the position you are interested in applying for to Recruitment@jameshambro.com
Your CV/Personal Data:
We will respond within 10 working days following the submission of your application.